Friday, April 06, 2007

still suffering.

as i told you all a couple days ago, i have been suffering from a nasty cold or virus or something.
it's friday and i am still sick! ugh. why won't this go away! i have not been sick like this for quite a while!

go to the doctor! you all are probably shouting. i did. and let me tell you about that ...

since i still don't have a primary care doctor with my (not so new now) insurance, i had to go to the horrid DOCS - a walk in facility that takes almost any insurance. i have told you about this place before and i swore that i would never go back. but it was my only choice since i couldn't get an appointment from any recommended doctors. it was worse this time. i waited over an hour in the nasty waiting room to be seen. when i was finally called to the room, this horrible assistant took my temperature and blood pressure. now, this was the day that i couldn't speak at all. i completely lost my voice at this point. so he proceeds to ask what is wrong. i start to tell him that i lost my voice and my throat really hurts ... but he cuts me off, all irritated and asks how this all began. so once again i start to tell him how i felt last week, but he stops me mid sentence, and says, " but what is wrong now!" jesus! was i not trying to tell you!! so i force the words out again. but he just puts down my chart and tells me to wait for the doctor. a- hole!
alas, here he comes! mister homeless, hole-in-the-shoe doctor! now, aren't doctors supposed to make money? i mean come on! i'm sure this guy makes at least as much or a little more than i do. and if my shoe had a huge hole in it from wear and tear, i could at least afford to by a new pair, even if it was from payless! whoa!
so without even barely talking to me for a minute, he determines that i have laryngitis. which just means you can't talk and have a sore throat. he prescribed me some antibiotics and advised me not to talk for 2 days. uh, ok! that's it?
so i still went to work the next day, trying not to talk, but that is difficult when you deal with customers! last night i went downhill again! i got a massive headache! it was so bad that i was feeling nauseous! the hand full of advil didn't help at all. all i wanted to do was sleep.

so sleep i did. all day today! until about 2:30! still don't feel 100%. and i still have to work tomorrow.

if anyone has any miraculous home remedies, please send them my way!

*cough* *sniff* *cough*

m

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethie said...

This woman I work with gave me this recipie for this concoction that her grandmother used to make--she swears by it. I tried it and it made me feel a little woozy/loopy at first, but it totally worked!

You need:

a lemon
a small piece of fresh ginger, about the size of your thumb
Plain uncoated asprin (genaric works)
water (about 2 or 3 cups)


Fill a small pot with water in it, and bring it to a boil.

Then take the ginger peel it, chop it up (when I'm sick, I use a garlic press because I don't feel like chopping).

Then cut up lemon and squeeze the juice in to the pot, and throw the rind in to boil. I do like to save a piece from the lemon to add at the end. It helps the taste.

Grind up the asprin. I use the back of a spoon to crush it a little and then I throw it in the pot to boil.

Let it cook for about 15 minutes, strain and drink.

It tastes really bitter and nasty, but it does work. Add lemon or honey if you can't stand the taste.

The asprin is what makes it taste bitter, and the ginger is what makes it taste sharp. I'll make this if I'm starting to get sick and just take the asprin, and it seems to help. This tea is really strong and doesn't taste good (you've been warned!!) but it totally works!! I call it Sylvia's Creepy Voodoo Juice, for a reason!

Feel Better!!

3:19 PM  
Blogger molly said...

i know that ginger is supposed to totally work. i was told that by some juice bar lady i used to get smoothies from. she used to give me shots of ginger - striaght up!
i'll try this one next time. thanks!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home